Tuesday, May 18, 2010

BYU Women's Conference

While I was in Provo I got the chance to walk around the BYU campus and go to the BYU Women's Conference. The campus there is really beautiful, and I loved the conference!!


The conference was two days long and had an opening and closing session each day and then three classes in between. There were so many good classes to choose from, and I was blessed enough to make it in to each one I wanted to go to! Especially one where they kept saying it was full, but I was determined to make it in that room so I stayed even after they said no more people could go in. Then people in line started walking away....sure enough the lady at the door said there were three more seats so I got to go in!!! And to top it off I was on the front row!!

That was such a tender mercy because the speakers were wonderful. The class was about miracles in our lives/tender mercies. The first lady shared the story of how her husband was badly hurt in a boating accident. The doctors said he probably wouldn't live... she told about his recovery and all of the little miracles that happened along the way. He did survive and it's twenty years later. He does have a limp and his speech is somewhat impaired, but his mind and ability to think and function is completely fine. He was there that day and got up to express his gratitude and share his testimony. It was wonderful!! of course we were all in tears! The Spirit was strong ! The other sister shared stories from her family and how 3 of her 5 children have special needs. Her story was also inspiring.

The conference was a great spiritual boost and I got to hear so many wonderful things I needed at that moment. The other classes I attended were on the topics of: dealing with feeling of inadequacy, not letting the digital dominate our lives, making your life happen instead of waiting around for it, overcoming criticism, and making changes/stepping out of one's comfort zone. They were all so good!

The general sessions were about choosing this day to serve the Lord, serving others, humanitarian and welfare programs of the church, etc... It was all so wonderful. The General Relief Society Presidency spoke as well as Elder Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and his wife. I almost didn't go to the conference, but I'm sooo glad I did!

RS general presidency

YW general presidency & Elder and Sister Oaks

One of Audrey's old roommates, Jenna, went to it as well, so I was able to spend time with her and her mom/friends. We went out to dinner and then to the concert that was part of the conference. I got to hear Hillary Weeks and Alex Boye (listened to some of their music as a missionary), and we even got to meet her afterwards. It was a great time!

Alex Boye

all of us with Hillary Weeks. She was so sweet and kind to take pics and sign autographs!

I have more pics of the conference and concert, but it takes a while to upload on here...

Another neat thing is that I ran into one of my aunt's old roommates during the conference. I wish I had taken a picture! It's such a small world!

1 comment:

  1. Making your life happen instead of waiting for it to happen: that would have been one for me to attend. I actually am actively working on setting and REACHING goals. Fun goals, spiritual goals, dating goals, etc. I'm hopefully not going to be as passive about life though.

    ReplyDelete