Thursday, April 15, 2010

West of the Mississippi! Day 1

I finally made it to Arizona Wednesday night, but I will do a recap of my whole trip. I really wanted to blog each night when I stopped, but I was way too tired to do it!

So I left on Monday around 8am, about 2 hours later than I had originally planned (of course)! Got my new GPS and figured out how to use it. Love that thing! There was a little traffic going through Atlanta...and then it was on to Alabama.
To be honest, nothing too exciting happened while driving! But coincidentally enough "Sweet Home Alabama" came up on my ipod mix while driving through the state. I love when stuff like that happens!

And so I decided to do some videos along the way. They are kind of embarrassing because it's really up close and personal on my face/mouth/nose, haha.... and I never realized how slow and drawn out I talk! but oh well, I think they are a good laugh... I tried posting them but it was taking too long and they never uploaded. I'll try again later.

Next came Mississippi! It was my first time ever being in that state (same for LA, TX, and NM as well). So I always love doing something new and adding states to my list of places I've visited. My camera totally messed up as I was trying to take the "Welcome to Mississippi" sign... so this is all I got:

I'll have to make sure I get a pic of that on my way back (one of my goals in life is to get a welcome sign for each state)!

McDonald's became my stopping place so I could use the internet etc, and I couldn't help but get some food even though I didn't need it!... gotta love Mickey dee's.

Then I got to cross the Mississippi River!!! How cool! I love traveling and sight seeing, but it's not nearly as easy and fun when you're driving and can't really look at everything and take it all in. It was still good though, and I tried to take pictures the best I could while driving! (which pretty much means just holding up the camera and clicking away in hopes of it actually turning out!)



you can barely see it, but that's the river!

next time I really need to just pull over so I can get a better pic!

On the first night I ended up staying in a hotel near Monroe, LA. Not quite far as I had hoped to get, but I was sooo tired and ready to be finished for the day! I was a little nervous about staying in a hotel by myself (first time every doing that). I was trying to make sure I was being careful and not making it super obvious that I was alone etc.. Of course right when I was about to get on the elevator some man got on in front of me, and I didn't want to get on with him and him know which floor I was on or even possibly the room I was in, haha. So I just acted liked I was on the first floor and kept walking.. then went back to the elevator after a little while (well what I thought was long enough)... so it wasn't long enough and ugh the elevator hadn't even taken off yet so when I pushed the button the doors opened and he was still on there! LOL. So I just got on and acted like I had been mistaken on my room number (cause he had seen me before) and silently prayed that we were on different floors and no one would see me go into my room, haha. Luckily I got off and he kept on to the next floor. I know, I'm super paranoid, but you never know! and I do tend to attract creepers!

That's about all the exciting stuff that happened.... had to sing and listen to the radio, take pics, and videos etc....to keep from getting too bored. That's about all!


3 comments:

  1. So you crack me up about staying in a hotel by yourself...haha, I've only stayed in a hotel by myself twice, but both times I was kind of scared for my life...haha the first time a big black man asked me if I was alone, and the other time involved a truck stop...haha I really didn't think I would make it out of that one alive! I even called one of my friends and told her where I was in case I didn't call her the next day to check on me! haha
    Glad you made it safely! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the elevator story made me laugh. I don't think that's paranoid at all - it's safe. And I love your goal of a Welcome sign from each state. How fun.

    ReplyDelete